• Loss of habitat and poaching pose serious threats to black bears. However, the greatest threat that black bears often face is the lack of human tolerance. Or, the greatest threat to black bears is human attitudes.
• Black bears can live around humans, but people are often unwilling to live around bears.
• Black bears are most often feared for what people THINK bears will do, versus what bears ACTUALLY do.
• Black bears have an extremely keen sense of smell. Under the right conditions a bear can pinpoint a food source up to several miles away.
• A mature male black bear may weigh anywhere between 125 to 500 pounds. The record weight for a male black bear is a little over 900 pounds.
• One of the first things a mother black bear teaches her cubs is to escape danger by climbing a tree on her command.
• Bears are driven by food and fear.
Site Design: elementalcreations.net | Copyright 2014 Michael Bedoian. All rights reserved.